So we just installed Crashplan off site backups, now what? Nothing, really. Crashplan will continue to run in the background backing up files that we selected. This may take several days depending on how much data you have on your computer. In the mean time, you can continue working and shutting down or rebooting your computer. The backups will pick up where they left off. A few things to be aware of:
- Crashplan does not back up databases unless you first do a manual back up and then we back that file up. So if you have something that requires a database such as SQL server, please contact us so that we can make arrangements to have this backed up.
- Crashplan does not back up programs. So if/when your computer dies, we will need to reinstall all your programs such as Microsoft Word from a disc or download. You will probably also need your license key.
- Crashplan does not back up your entire computer. Our technicians usually select the “Documents” folder, the desktop and the Internet favorites folder. If you have data stored somewhere else (like Quickbooks or Outlook), please let our techs know so they can verify that is being backed up.
- Let us know if you want your login information. We use a special pro e version of Crashplan with a username and password. If you would like that information, please let your tech know.
- It may take a while to get all your files back. In the event that your hard drive crashes, it may take a while to download all your files to a new computer. Crashplan also has an option to ship you a hard drive (for an extra fee).
If you would like to restore files yourself, here is a quick tutorial: https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Restoring/Downloading_Files_From_The_Code42_CrashPlan_App .
(888) 737 – 3586
Contact Abuzz Technologies
More tech tips at http://www.abuzztech.com/tech-articles/