People ask us all the time “Is putting all my stuff on the cloud secure?”. The short answer is YES. Two step verification is one of the main reasons why.
Why do I need 2-step verification?
It may be easier than you think for someone to steal your password. Any of these common actions could put you at risk for having your password stolen:
- Using the same password on more than one site
- Downloading software from the Internet
- Clicking on links in email messages
2-Step verification can help you keep bad guys out, even if they have your password.
Imagine losing access to your account and everything in it
When a bad guy steals your password, they could lock you out of your account, and then do some of the following:
- Go through – or even delete – all of your emails, contacts, photos, etc.
- Pretend to be you and send unwanted or harmful emails to your contacts
- Use your account to reset the passwords for your other accounts (banking, shopping, etc.)
How does it work?
Signing in to your account will work a little differently
- You’ll enter your password whenever you sign in to Google, you’ll enter your password as usual.
- You’ll be asked for something else-then, a code will be sent to your phone via text, voice call, or our mobile app. Or, if you have a Security Key, you can insert it into your computer’s USB port.
Keep sign-in simple
During sign-in, you can choose not to use 2-Step Verification again on that particular computer. From then on, that computer will only ask for your password when you sign in.
You’ll still be covered, because when you or anyone else tries to sign in to your account from another computer, 2-Step Verification will be required.
How does it protect me?
An extra layer of security
Most people only have one layer – their password – to protect their account. With 2-Step Verification, if a bad guy hacks through your password layer, he’ll still need your phone or Security Key to get into your account.
Sign in will require something you know and something you have
With 2-Step Verification, you’ll protect your account with something you know (your password) and something you have (your phone or Security Key).
Verification codes made just for you
Codes are uniquely crafted for your account when you need them. If you choose to use verification codes, they will be sent to your phone via text, voice call, or our mobile app. Each code can only be used once.
See Features to learn about backup options for times when your phone is not available.
How can I set it up?
If you are using G Suite (formerly Google Apps). Give us a call and we can set that up for you. If you are using Gmail, you can sign up here.